Friday, March 9, 2012

Dazzling Damask Bookcase!

This was actually like my second furniture project ever. This is the one that really got me hooked. I love this little piece. Sadly, it is gone. I sold it on Craigslist. Originally, it was for a nursery - a pregnancy I was just so convinced was a girl that I actually began projects and purchasing things for her. However, when that pregnancy was lost - I was only left with sore reminders, and a really cute bookshelf that didn't match my decor.

 Here she is before:
This bookcase started out as a $13.99 find from Goodwill. It was not solid wood, but a very solid and heavy piece. Without sanding, I used one coat of bonding primer and followed it up with two coats of a creamy white color. I followed that up with a couple of coats of spray polycyclic since I used latex paint for this project. Last, I cut some wrapping paper (shhh) to fit the back, using spray adhesive to glue it on.
I do not have any photos of the process because this was long before my blogging days, which have a fairly recent start. But after so many of these furniture redo posts, the steps are pretty  much all the same anyway. Clean, prime, paint, paint, and add whatever bling or feature to the piece - if any.

If I had it to do over again, I would fill the holes on the sides that make the shelf adjustable. It just makes a piece look more high end. I would also remove the back of the shelf when adding the wrapping paper. I would have been an extra step, but I think it would have been easier to manage the paper and get a more precise fit.
Hope you (and the lucky lady who bought it!) love it as much as I did!

Partying at:

Photobucket Skip To My Lou